Sunday, May 26, 2013

My First Grown-Up Job

Back in August I began my first grown-up job. I've been teaching private lessons for 12 years, but teaching music at a school is a completely different world. For example:

The most students I've had at one time in my private studio is around 25. At school, I've got over 850 kids.

Teaching one on one in a private studio makes getting a recital prepared easier because I can work on problem spots with the student. With at least 25 kids to a class at school, not everyone is on the same level at the same time. So there is a lot more repetition.


Rainbow  Ribbon Sticks Game

I haven't done many festivals or competitions with my private students. But at school I've gotten to take my choir (I love teaching choir!) to a festival, which they raved about for weeks. They learned so much; that there are other people that share their love for music and choral singing, rhythm, focus, musical excellence, stage presence, etc. We were invited to a festival put on my the Phoenix Children's Chorus. PCC is an incredible organization with an audition-only entrance and teaches students music theory, proper vocal techniques, choreography and more. Learn more here: http://www.pcchorus.org/
Phoenix Children's Chorus Festival

PCC Festival - Drumming Class


PCC - Ready for the Concert


This is my first year conducting a choir. These dedicated students stayed after school 
for an extra hour to practice and sing to prepare for our Christmas and Spring concerts. 
Choir Music Awards
Right before a Music Showcase in front of the school to get other students excited about choir.

The T-Shirt that one of my choir students designed for our choir t-shirt

Preparing for a concert with 25 students is much different than preparing for one with 850+. Our spring concert was based on an amazing script written by one of the school's 2nd grade teachers. I arranged music according to the theme, which was "The Music of America - Let It Play!" about how music has lifted America out of difficult times, like wars, the Great Depression, and 9/11. 

The 2nd-6th Grade Spring Concert:
The Music of America - Let It Play!
May 17th, 2013
With the cast backstage right before the show started

My mom, son, sister-in-law, brother, and dad watching the concert

Flowers that my son brought on stage after the show was over

Vintage dress I wore to the concert that my sister purchased for me at a thrift store in Oregon and shipped to me. Thanks Becky!
Teaching is a difficult job some days, but most days are fulfilling and rewarding. I'm happy to say I have succeeded at my first year in my grown-up job :)

~"Ms. Smith"
Music Teacher

No comments:

Post a Comment